Wednesday, May 22
12:00-17:00 – Pre-conference POCUS Workshop
$425 per participant (24 participants)
Health Research Innovation Centre
Dr. Frank Myslik, Western University and Dr. James Downar, University of Ottawa
This course is aimed at practitioners who are beginning their pathway to competence in point-of-care ultrasound (POCUS) and those wishing to enhance their skills in extended applications within palliative care. This will be a hands-on workshop using task trainers and ultrasound machines. Expert and experienced faculty from various disciplines will discuss use of POCUS throughout the day with small lectures in between hands-on sections.
A flipped classroom model where video lectures and content are electronically sent ahead of time will be used for participants to review. This course will feature an outstanding faculty to learner ratio for hands-on sessions and innovative image interpretation sessions. Topics covered:
- Instructions on knobology and utilizing an ultrasound machine
- Identification of pleural dffusion and abdominal free fluid
- How to perform and landmark for ultrasound guided paracentesis and thoracentesis
- Dynamic needle guidance and visualization for procedures
- Performing a lower extremity venous compression exam
- How to identify proximal lower extremity deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Assessment of urinary retention and catheter confirmation
- Potential extended applications for use in palliative care (ie: small bowel obstruction, pulmonary edema)
- Implementation in palliative care units and home visits
- Clinical case discussion and integration of POCUS in practice
Thursday, May 23
09:30-11:00 – Mandatory Session For Residents Only: NAHD In Person!
Bonavista Room, Westin Hotel Calgary
All residents are required by their program directors to attend this workshop if they are at ALPM. It’s a unique opportunity to attend a National Academic Half Day in person – and to meet other Residents from across Canada.
Topic: Child & Adolescent Grief & Loss
Speaker: Rebca Zawde, MSW, RSW
Counsellor, Community Hospice Services, Hospice Calgary