The mandate of the Postgraduate Education Committee is to coordinate the efforts of the program directors to support individual programs to train excellent palliative care physicians, and to help advance the academic standing of palliative care across Canada.
Activity in 2019/2020
- Thank you to Program Directors who have served on the committee and to new PDs who have joined.
- Thank you also to Dr. Chris Barnes who has stepped down as Chair after his 2-year term.
- Ongoing support to current Subspecialty residency programs: UBC, UofT, Queen’s, uOttawa, and Dalhousie
- Submission of a letter to Royal College Subspecialty committee based on Program Director and current RC resident feedback.
- Addition of a 5th regular national AHD session on Pediatric Palliative Care in addition to Research, Capacity Building, Public Health/Compassionate Community and a Face-to-Face (rotating topic).
o Financial support from Pallium for a lunch for residents after NAHD session for networking.
- Ongoing sharing of Academic Half-Day curricula for Royal College + Enhanced Skills training as well as other resources.
- Discussion and plans to submit a letter supportive of funding for shorter non-accredited training opportunities; learning about funding models and clinical fellowship models across the country.
- Support and discussion re: Transition of Enhanced Skills application to CaRMS for 2021-2022 year.
- Ongoing alignment of interview dates (although all virtual due to COVID19 – less important but still good to avoid conflict of interview dates).
- Encouraging in-person attendance of PM residents, with it being mandatory by webcast for those not in attendance
Focus for 2020/2021
- Support to the Pediatric Subcommittee as they prepare to launch pediatric palliative medicine Royal College subspecialty residency programs
- Support for CBME transition (for the Royal College program and also CFPC ES-PC programs) for individual programs and national CBME rollout.
- Collaboration with the Palliative Approach to Care Education Working Group
- Collaboration with the Royal College Examination Prep Course Working Group
- Ongoing sharing of residency program resources (academic half-day, formative assessments).
Chair: Dr. Craig Goldie – Queen’s University
Past-Chair: Dr. Chris Barnes – University of Ottawa
Dr. Anoo Tamber – University of British Columbia
Dr. Julia Ridley – University of British Columbia
Dr. Andreanne Cote – University of Montreal
Dr. Anne Marie Krueger-Naug – Dalhousie University
Dr. Ebru Kaya – University of Toronto
Dr. Sarah Kawaguchi – University of Toronto
Dr. Michael Volpe – University of Manitoba
Dr. Sarah Burton-MacLeod – University of Alberta
Dr. Laurie Lemieux – University of Calgary
Dr. Amanda Roze des Ordons – University of Calgary
Dr. Anita Singh – University of Western Ontario
Dr. Anne Boyle – McMaster University
Dr. Golda Tradounsky – McGill University
Dr. Samir Azzaria – University of Laval
Dr. Carl Bromwich – University of Sherbrooke