Palliative Care Residents, Residents from other specialties and Canadian medical students who have an interest in palliative care are welcome to join the CSPCP.
Reasons to join:
- Excellent annual advanced-level conference providing top quality, high yield sessions with significant discounts for members
- Networking opportunities with palliative care physicians across the country
- Finding mentorship for those new in palliative medicine practice
- Contributing proactively in shaping the future of our profession
- Contributing to a palliative care voice in these interesting times we live in, as physician-hastened death becomes legal
- Getting the chance to pick up the baton from our palliative care heroes who came before us
Cost and online registration:
- Associate (non-voting) memberships for Medical Students and Residents are only $50 per year. https://www.cspcp.ca/register/associate-member-student/
- If you prefer to become an Active (voting) member, the fee is $290 per year. https://www.cspcp.ca/register/active-member/
We hope you will join us to learn, connect, and contribute to the field of palliative care.
What your dues are used for:
Your dues go toward physician education, networking, and advocacy for improving access to quality palliative care in Canada, as stated in our Vision, Mission and Goals. For example, in 2015, we:
- Released results of the first-ever National Palliative Medicine survey that we conducted in collaboration with four national partners.
- Polled our members on the subject of physician-hastened death and formed a Hastened Death Working Group that helped us develop Key Messages about hastened death and to prepare submissions to the Federal expert panel and the provincial/territorial panel.
- Prepared statements on other important subjects such as palliative medicine education and the number of palliative medicine physicians in Canada.
- Continued supporting development of the Subspecialty in Palliative Medicine and the Certificate of Added Competence in Palliative Care
- Partnered with the Canadian Virtual Hospice to develop an online methadone course that will be fully launched in 2016.
Resident/Student Rates at our Conference
Medical students and residents are eligible for significantly discounted rates at our Advanced Learning in Palliative Medicine Conference. To view the conference program and/or to register click here.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR MEDICAL STUDENTS
Annual Undergraduate Narrative Award for Palliative Medicine
The Canadian Society of Palliative Care Physicians offers this award as a way to stimulate undergraduate medical students to think and reflect creatively about the multifaceted aspects of palliative medicine and caring at the end of life. It is open to all undergraduate medical students in the penultimate year of their programs. Submissions may include poetry, prose, images, audio and/or video. The winner will receive a $500 cash prize that is sponsored by Pallium Canada. The winning submission will be featured on the CSPCP web site and at the following year’s ALPM conference. For details on the award criteria, submission process, and deadlines: https://www.cspcp.ca/about/awards/
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR PALLIATIVE CARE RESIDENTS
The Palliative Medicine Resident Research Award
This award is for the best scholarly project by a resident enrolled in a palliative medicine residency program.
For deadlines, criteria and submission process visit our Awards page: https://www.cspcp.ca/about/awards/
To view Career Postings in Palliative Medicine click here
Training (Residency) Opportunities
Click here to view some of the training opportunities offered in Canada
National Academic Half Day (NAHD) Schedule
NAHD is a series of webinars that are open to Canadian Palliative Medicine Residents. The sessions are by invitation and distributed through the Program Directors. To view the schedule, click here
If you have any questions or suggestions for improving this page, click here to contact the CSPCP office.