The CSPCP Wellness Committee invites you to consider these wellness or self-care activities. Please try them and see which ones work for you. We are in this together!
Dr. Charlie Chen, CSPCP Board Member, Wellness Committee Chair
A thought or two from Wellness Committee Members:
“My wife and children are by far the most important people in my life. I find that when I am with my children, the best thing I can do for them and for myself is to set aside my phone, etc., and be entirely present with them when I have the chance. If you have the good fortune of living with your closest loved ones, take some time each day to devote entirely to your relationship with them.”
“[U]nplug from the news and social media for a while – a day or even just a few hours – and focus on what is immediately around you.”
Music, Poems, & Humour
Pandemic, A Poem by Lynn Ungar:
What if you thought of it
as the Jews consider the Sabbath—
the most sacred of times?
Cease from travel.
Cease from buying and selling.
Give up, just for now,
on trying to make the world
different than it is.
Sing. Pray. Touch only those
to whom you commit your life.
And when your body has become still,
reach out with your heart.
Know that we are connected
in ways that are terrifying and beautiful.
(You could hardly deny it now.)
Know that our lives
are in one another’s hands.
(Surely, that has come clear.)
Do not reach out your hands.
Reach out your heart.
Reach out your words.
Reach out all the tendrils
of compassion that move, invisibly,
where we cannot touch.
Promise this world your love–
for better or for worse,
in sickness and in health,
so long as we all shall live.
- “Stay the **@% at home” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Q5fJTgx_E
- If Corona doesn’t kill us, Distance Learning will! https://youtu.be/8U6zU4MXmnA
Meditation Resources and Talks
- F.A.C.E. COVID How To Respond Effectively To The Corona Crisis, Dr. Russ Harris: https://youtu.be/BmvNCdpHUYM
- Jud Brewer YouTube channel – Jud Brewer is a psychiatrist who brings together mindfulness into clinical applications. His channel has brief daily 20 minute topics for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmSw1-JS5II&t=0s
- Tricycle magazine has free online mediations and talks. For example, MIndy Newman’s talk and meditation in particular: https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/online-meditation/
- Guided Meditation for healthcare workers during the pandemic: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5642060be4b0b6ef97ba6c9a/t/5e6f5b66f26ba22b99a6adef/1584356298881/M_02_For+Coronavirus+Responders_%5BCOVID19%5D_JM_15min.mp3/original/M_02_For+Coronavirus+Responders_%5BCOVID19%5D_JM_
- Coronavirus Sanity Guide (FREE) https://www.tenpercent.com/coronavirussanityguide
- Palouse Mindfulness Guide – A variety of resources mindfulness/meditation: https://palousemindfulness.com/covid19/index.html
- University of California San Francisco (see “Emotional Well-Being” section for breathing exercises): UCSF Department of Psychiatry’s COVID-19 Mental Health Resources
- Greater Good Magazine: Greater Good’s Guide to Well-Being During COVID-19
- Greater Good Science Center: Greater Good Online Institute for Health Professionals
- Dr Dan Siegel – Wheel of Awareness: Dr. Dan Siegel’s Wheel of Awareness
- Atlas of Emotions: Atlas of Emotions
- SF Dharma Collective – Well of Being: Finding Ground in Groundless Times by Cultivating Emotional Balance: Cultivating Emotional Balance in Groundless Times