Status of the ALPM 2020 Conference

(March 25, 2020) Given the increasing number of restrictions on meetings and travel, the requirements for social distancing, and the need for physicians to remain on the front lines in their own communities, it seems unlikely that the conference can go ahead. However, we are strategically waiting for a few more weeks to make a final decision.

The financial consequences of cancelling are significant, but less so if we are mandated to cancel. At this point, Ontario’s ban on gatherings of over 50 people is only in effect until March 31st. We expect that an extension to the ban will be announced shortly and if it covers the conference period, the decision will be clear. It will also be clear if most physicians are prevented from travelling during the conference period by their employers or other authorities.

We will only hold the conference if public health officials say we can do so safely and if our Members are free to travel. It does not seem likely at this point, but if something changes and we are able to move ahead, ALPM will provide an opportunity to learn, connect, debrief, and support each other.

We will let you know on or before May 1, so that delegates, speakers, staff and exhibitors can make their plans accordingly.

In the event that ALPM is cancelled, full (100%) refunds will be offered for registration fees and exhibitors’ fees. Prior to that time, our regular cancellation policy is in effect.

The CSPCP is investigating the possibility of virtual/remote options in the event that we need to cancel. We will keep you informed as the situation evolves and decisions are made.